Monday, March 2, 2020

Stuck with nowhere to look.

    Inspiration! Artists constantly struggle with ways to come up with something to draw or paint or write about. I know I do. Art block, writers block, 'the well is dry';whatever you want to call it, I'm sure we can all agree that it's an irritating thing to have to go through.
    If you don't go through this tell us down in the comments and tell us your secrets because I don't believe you.

    *Ahem* So What are some ways to overcome these issues? I for one am always on the lookout for good methods to good ways to beat the cruelty of art block.
    Here are a few things I have done:

1. Go for a nice quiet walk. (No music, just my thoughts)
2. Go out with friends
3. Take something from my past works
4. Flip through a dictionary
5. Internet prompts.

    There are a few things I like to do. Let's break it down.

1. Go for a nice quiet walk.

Sometimes it's nice to just go outside and get some fresh air into your lungs. Just being outside stimulates my brain and when I don't have any music to distract me if forces me to notice the things going on around me. Suddenly I notice that strange bush, that weird looking tree, or even the neighbors farm animals. It's good to take a break from sitting for a while and get some exercise as well.

2. Go out with friends

Distraction is nice. When you focus on one thing for too long it becomes a pile of mud. It all meshes together until it just doesn't look like anything at all. This leads to frustration. When I'm out with friends it provides distraction and a good time. Plus sometimes you end up in places like a restaurant or a coffee shop. This can also provide good inspiration. Sometimes my friends laugh at me because one of them would say something inspirational and my eyes would light up. They would tell me that they could see the wheels turning in my head.

3. Take something from my past works

I have actually recently done this. I took an old picture of a pegasus and reworked it into what my skills are today. I'm not sure how old I was when I drew the old one, but I'm happy that I have improved.


    

4. Flip through a dictionary

As long as you land on a good work, this can be a fun thing to do. If you flip through and land on the word 'cow' then that's what you build your drawing around. Sometimes I'm not that lucky and I land on a word like 'this' or 'reluctant'. It's possible, but a lot harder.

5. Internet prompts

There are several websites that will have word generators for you. Sometimes I just like to search for one of those and generate 1 or 2 topics. depending on which generator you use that can also be difficult. Sometimes i'll pick up to three words and build a story around it. That can make an interesting picture. This is one picture which I used three words on. I can't remember the exact words, but one of them was was a phrase 'to our last goodnight'. The two words were something like 'moonlight', and 'green'.


So! That's how I defeat art block. Some days I just ignore the fact I'm an artist and do nothing. In my book that is a valid thing to do. It's called 'give your brain a rest'!!!
I hope that you guys enjoyed this little chat about inspiration. If you guys have methods you like to use share them in the comment section. Help a fellow artist/writer/cook/ 'whoever you are' out.

See ya next week!
Addyson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Artsy

   So..... How have y'all been?  I hope everyone has been doing well and not going to crazy with quarantine and all. Now I'm not mak...